I get it. We are not living in a society that cares anything about your self-esteem, let alone your confidence. We’re living in a time where every scroll of your thumb will land you on a digitally-altered, Snap Chat-filtered or surgically enhanced IG model. And if you’ve managed to escape the sea of unattainable and unrealistic beauty standards, then you’re bound to come across yet another example of why black lives obviously do not matter. All of this while being emersed in a culture that loves to throw around the word “melanin” but still manages to put dark-skinned women at the bottom of the totem pole.
But here’s the thing…
We must remember that although we are IN this world, we are not OF this world. Therefore, we should not be looking to society or pop culture for validation, affirmation or confirmation (I like dropping bars every now and then). For the longest, I struggled with self-esteem issues. That is until I really, REALLY got into my Word. The more I learned about God, the more He revealed about me. There was a shift that took place. Instead of having an identity rooted in childhood traumas, rejection, and feelings of inadequacy, I began developing an identity rooted in Christ.
In this new identity, I was no longer just the daughter of a high school dropout but I realized I am the daughter of a King. I was no longer the shy girl that never spoke up in meetings but I recognized there was power in my tongue. More than anything, I realized that my God was too big for me to be content with playing small.
Listen, we’re walking into rooms different in this season. We are regaining our confidence as the heirs of Jesus Christ. Below are five scriptures that I pray will remind you that you are more than worthy and our God is more than capable. So, straighten your back, lift your chin and fix your crown, love.
Five Scriptures to Boost Your Godfidence
1. You are God’s masterpiece. Ephesians 2:10 – This world is going to call you a lot of things other than the name on your birth certificate. You can either choose to dwell on the harsh words of a high school bully or a middle school jerk, or you can relish in what God calls you.
2. You have been adopted as His own. He CHOSE you. Romans 8:15 – “So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when He ADOPTED you as His own children. Now we call him, ‘Abba, Father.’” Listen, you will stop harping over who rejected you when you focus on seeking and praising the God who CHOSE you.
3. Everything you need is inside of you. Romans 8:11 – “The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you.” There is power and authority living on the inside of you. You can allow it to remain dormant or you can choose to activate it!
4. You are not who you once were. 2 Corinthians 5:17- “This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun.” This is your permission to break out of whatever box you’ve allowed others to place you in. If people aren’t wondering just who you think you are, then I dare you to get a little bolder.
5. You are set apart. Psalms 4:3 – “You can be sure of this: The Lord set apart the godly for himself. The Lord will answer when I call to him.” If you’ve ever wondered why you just can’t seem to fit in, just know it is because you were uniquely designed to be set apart. You’re not like the rest…and that’s your superpower.
I pray these scriptures bless you and possibly even change ya’ walk!
Let’s keep the momentum going. Drop some of your go-to scriptures in the comments below.